Friday, December 2, 2011

Rocket Man


Nate will turn 3 years old on December 18th.  I've always been a fan of birthdays, but Nate's birthday this year...and every year from now on is just that much more special.  He has really fought for this one, this year.  He really deserved a great birthday party, but I wasn't sure how we were going to pull it off with surgery in New York, round 6, the holidays and a looming stem cell transplant.  Then one day it hit me...he is feeling good now, let's have a party now!  I sent off a quick email to all of Nate's bestest buddies to make sure that they would be in town the Sunday after Thanksgiving and we started planning his party.



I asked Nate what kind of party he wanted and at one point, with the help of Grandma and an internet connection, I think he had his heart set on a Curious George/Mickey Mouse/Little Einsteins/rocket party.


After much discussion, we decided on a ROCKET PARTY, as he would exclaim to anyone who asked.  It's only fitting because everything in our house has been about rockets, count downs and blasting off lately.  Nate insists that my minivan is a rocket (it even has automatic doors).  Every time we get in to go somewhere, Nate refers to me as "Captain Mommy" and has to count me down before I am allowed to start...I mean blast off...my car...excuse me, rocket.


I made jet packs for all of the kids, which was a bit of work but was all worth it to see those cute little bodies "blasting off" all over the park.  The jet pack races were just too cute.


Daddy got a water rocket kit and Nate helped Daddy, Sean and Mike blast off several water bottles.  It was great fun to count down and watch the rockets blast off.  Nate was over the moon that he got to help launch them.


Then, the pinata of course.


...and so, so, so many nice presents.  Nate can't wait to come home from New York and play with everything!



I made Nate a rocket cake fit for the occasion.  When he saw it the morning of his party, he ran up, hugged me tight around the legs and told me I was the best mommy in the whole world for making him his rocket cake.  Now, if that doesn't make it all worth it, I don't know what would.


Blasting off to 3!



Nate and Dane playing with the dollar store rockets I found for the goody bags.


It was a great 3rd birthday party!  I am so happy and relieved to know that no matter where Nate is on December 18th...he had a super fun birthday party with his friends.


2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest idea ever! How fun and what great memories you all will have from this day. Great job on the cake, Mom! You are an inspiration, Beth! Love, "Aunt" Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great birthday party! Kudos to you on the cake, too! :) I love the rocket theme!

    ReplyDelete