Monday, December 26, 2011

Life is Hard


I know this is not news, everyone knows that life is hard.  I've had my share of hardships, but never knew exactly how painful and cruel it could really be until July.  Why does Nate have to experience this intense pain at barely 3 years old?  I have to believe there is a reason somewhere in all this, but I don't think I'll ever think it's fair to learn these lessons through a child.

I haven't written in awhile, for several reasons.  Really, I've barely been holding it together for Nate.  I haven't been in a good place and any post I wrote would be so chalk full of four letter words that my computer would probably have exploded.  I've also been so physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted that rehashing the days events was just more than my brain and heart could handle.  All I could handle was a few Facebook posts, pleading for prayers for my little boy.

Nate is sick, very sick, and has been for awhile.  His poor little body has had too much.  First, he had major surgery and just as he was beginning to recover and regain his appetite, he was hit with a nasty stomach virus.  He was not even given time to recover from the stomach virus, when his sixth round of chemo was started.  All this has resulted in a little boy who has not eaten more than a couple bites in more than 3 weeks.  He has lost more than 5 pounds, which is a lot on a 35 pound boy.  He vomited non-stop for almost 2 weeks, despite (and sometimes because of) constant anti-nausea medication.  He spent his 3rd birthday in his corner of the couch, propped up by pillows with barely enough strength to open a present.  He has barely been able to walk for more than 2 weeks and hasn't walked at all for almost a week.  He doesn't have to strength to sit, let alone stand.  Chris, Nate and I haven't had more than a couple hours of sleep in the more than 2 weeks.  We all...especially Nate...need a break.

Last Monday, I took him to clinic and despite his lack of energy, all his numbers looked good.  He was given some IV fluid and anti-nausea medication and we hoped he would start feeling better.  The real pain began on Wednesday.  He woke up with what I assumed to be mucositis (inflammation of the mouth and GI tract all the way down to his rectum), because he had been through this before...when he had these same drugs for round 4.  He could barely talk or drink.  It was clear that his ANC had tanked and we prayed that he would not get a fever.  He was running warm all day, but I never got a temperature greater than 99.8. 

Thursday morning, he was warm again and it was time for his clinic visit.  He was very tired and lethargic, but he also had not slept at all the night before.  We were a little late because he had vomited all over both of us as I was carrying him to the car.  We had to wait in the waiting room for a while and by the time he got in to have his vitals checked, he had a fever and his blood pressure was very low and heart rate very high.  His body was clearly under a massive amount of stress.  His blood was drawn and when his ANC came back as zero, they began to move quickly.  When you have a child going through chemotherapy, with no immune system, a fever and a system that is under stress, they automatically assume he is septic.  Blood cultures were drawn, fluid and antibiotics were started and he was admitted to the hospital.

The past few days in the hospital have been frustrating and tiring.  He keeps spiking fevers several times a day.  Two nights in a row he had fevers above 104.  They initially start with 2 antibiotics and add a third (big dog) antibiotic if cultures come back positive or if fevers keep coming.  He was started on the 3rd antibiotic because of the fevers, but his cultures are all still negative.  Next they look at the poop.  Especially because he has been having bad diarrhea.  The doctor ordered a stool culture on Friday and he had some big poops on Friday, but the culture didn't get done.  Saturday, his diarrhea was so watery that they couldn't get anything to do a culture.  Finally, Sunday morning he had a poop that they were able to culture and it came back with c. diff., a common infection for kids on chemotherapy to get (Nate has had it once before).  This was actually great news because we now had a possible explanation for the fevers.  He was started on a 4th antibiotic which is given by mouth and is specific for c. diff.  Since starting this antibiotic last night, we have seen some improvement.  He is still getting fevers, but they are much more low grade and he is a little more perky.  Probably because the fevers have been making him feel like crap.

The fevers are still no good though, so tomorrow we think they will be starting a fungal protocol.  He will be started on an antifungal and will get a CT scan of most of his body, looking for a fungal infection.  The problem with the CT scan is that it could show a false negative, meaning there could be a fungal infection that doesn't show up on the scan...so, they have to start the antifungal anyways.

We are also discussing his nutrition, because until his ANC comes back up and his mucositits heals, he will not eat anything.  They may start him on TPN (IV nutrition) tomorrow.  All this means that it may be a long time before he is able to come home.  The more things they put him on, the more things they have to be confident they don't need and can pull him off, before he can come home...even when his ANC comes back up.  Unfortunately, he may not need any of it.  The only confirmed infection is the c.diff. and the medication he gets for that is by mouth and can be given at home.  Everything else is being given because they can't take a chance that he has an infection hiding somewhere.  His body can't defend an infection and it would kill him.  We are desperately hoping to get him home by Friday so that we can turn our New Year's Eve and Day in to a 2nd Christmas Eve and Day, just for Nate.  We also just can't wait for him to be happy and feeling good again.  That just can't come soon enough.

Christmas was hard...that is why I want a second chance at it.  We had to do our best to make it special for Wesley...but it was not easy to paste on a smile when you are only getting 2 children ready for church and filling 2 stockings.  All of our family took turns at the hospital so that Chris and I could be everywhere we needed to be for all of our kids and families, and we couldn't be more grateful.  Nate mustered up enough energy to open up one present and to smile for a picture with Santa, but honestly, he couldn't give a crap if it was Christmas or not.  He was in pain and just wanted it to stop and for everyone to leave him alone.  He's pretty pissed off and so am I, so how can I blame him.

Instead of listing all the things I'm pissed about (though the above gives a pretty good description), I will list all the things I am grateful for.

1.  Strength from God himself.  I am mad and sad, but I am strong right now.  I prayed for this strength and I know it comes only from God, because otherwise there is no way I would have enough strength to move.

2.  My babies.  Wes and Ellie are healthy and Nate may be in pain and stuck in the hospital, but he is here with us.  There are many, many children who are not.  Way too many.

3.  Surgically cancer free.  I look at Nate and the pain he is in and I am beyond grateful that the problems he is experiencing are purely treatment related.  There are many children who are in much greater pain because the cancer is winning.  FU cancer!

4.  Spectacular hospital staff.  Nate has had the privelege of being taken care of by some really spectacular people.  Everyone at the clinic is awesome and our clinical nurse coordinator is the best.  We also have a favorite nurse at the hospital who happened to be Nate's nurse for several days of this hospital stay, which has truly been awesome.  I want to write an entire blog post about how awesome this nurse is, but I want to ask their permission first.

5.  Our family.  Really, we are so, so blessed.  Taking care of us and our children, sitting all day and sleeping at the hospital, wrapping gifts...everything.  I don't even know where to begin.

6.  Big private rooms.  It may seem isolating at times, but we never experienced the old building and I know that this has to be better.  I was able to bring all of our family's presents to the hospital to wrap while Nate slept, it was quite a sight.  There's no way I could have done that in the old hospital.

7.  An empty hospital.  The 7th floor was really more empty than I had ever seen it on Christmas Day. Someone from Hope Kids came for a visit and to bring a treat to all the Hope Kids who were stuck in the hospital.  She said most of the kids that were supposed to be there had gone home.  I am so happy that they were able to get so many children home to be with their families on Christmas Day.

8.  Nate's age.  Nate's age and stage of development has made a lot of things easier with this cancer treatment.  One example is Christmas.  Nate has absolutely no expectations for Christmas.  He doesn't know what day Christmas is and he doesn't remember our traditions.  We can do anything for him on any day to make it super special.  I am so grateful that he was not in the hospital in pain...and depressed about missing a normal Christmas.  Just another year or two older and it's a whole different ball game.  Wesley had the seconds counted down to Santa's arrival this year.  So, I am grateful that we were able to give Wes the Christmas that he wanted and deserved and we will be able to give Nate something equally as special when he is feeling up to it.

I think I will stop there.  I am grateful for so, so many more things, but I need to get some sleep and get ready to fight another day tomorrow.  Thank you for keeping Nate in your thoughts and prayers...he really needs them right now.


17 comments:

  1. Thinking of you all and hoping Nate feels better soon so you can celebrate Christmas properly. It makes me so sad to think of him and all the other children in hospital over Christmas, even if some of them are too young to really know. Love to you all xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with Nate and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great that you are mad! I think about you and Nate everyday. Wish there was something I could do for you. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. My best friend going through a similiar situation. Her son is waiting for a double lung transplant. They are at Duke waiting for his lung infection to clear up before he can get new lungs. Everyday is a challenge. He has been in the hospital since August. You both are very strong women. I can not imagine how you hard it is to be strong for you and your son. You should be very proud of yourself. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have some common friends and I watch for updates about Nate on Facebook and on your blog. You have become a daily part of my prayers. I pray every day for your brave boy and to give you, his family, massive amounts of strength as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont know you but I will be praying for you and your family. You as a mother have the strength to be there for your son and the rest of your family. I know sometimes you wanna break, but you know just as well as I do many of the things that make you wanna break are the things that give you the strength. You are a strong mother and inspiring to the rest of us. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I pray your son will get some relief soon, as well as your family. God bless you!!!
    Darbi Ziesler from Fort Collins co

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued prayers for you all and Nate. I pray that he starts to significantly feel better, I pray that you get some mental and physical rest. I pray that it is nothing but good news from here on out. God is with you and hears all our prayers and is holding Nate in the palm of his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May this be a distant memory next Christmas! Praying for you everyday!

    Val Nikolaus
    (Alisa's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for Nate, hope you feel better soon buddy. Your family is in my thoughts every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. Reading your blog and my eyes are filling with tears and my heart is hurting empathizing the pain you are all going through and especially Nate. God has a plan and we don't know what it is and we are not supposed to question His plan but sometimes He makes us walk through many valleys before we can stand on top of the mountain. I will pray that soon you will be at the top of the mountain rejoicing for Nates recovery. Will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Maureen Biles

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like you were really hoping you would get Christmas together as a family. I am so sorry that did not happen for you. And so sorry that your little Nate is feeling so crappy. I will pray that you will be able to be thankful for many, many Christmases to come as you celebrate Nate's life.

    I hope you get your Christmas this weekend like you are hoping. Nate will be just as excited and thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, we have never met (I am a friend of Bethannah's) and just wanted you to know you are a true inspiration to me, as a mother. God will give you the strength you need, just keep asking Him and He will continue to carry you through this awful time. Nate is in my regular prayers and has affected my life in ways I never expected. I will add to your list... I am thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuck, yuck, yuck! I never met you or your family, just stumbled o. Your blog through another acquaintance with a child fighting the same terrible disease. I was hoping and praying that you didn't update because you were too busy enjoying your holidays, so I'm really sad to read this post. I wish I could come cook, clean, make you some tea and do anything else to let you feel a moments peace, and most of all, wish it were better for Nate. I believe it will be soon though. Hang in there, I'm sure so many are aching to have you lean on them. They'll help carry you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I was magic so I could make this all go away for you. I don't know you, I only stumbled across your blog from a link on Maya's blog, but I think about Nate and your family every single day. I wish there was some way I could make things better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think about your family every single day and am so sorry to hear that Nate has had a rough Christmas. I hope that Nate begins to feel better very soon and that you can be together as a family again soon. The strength of you and your son is so inspiring and every time I feel like I am having a bad day, I think of what you guys must be going through. Keep fighting and keep staying strong, even in times like this. Prayers for a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for Nates full and complete recovery.Also praying for your continued courage and grace and for your family.You are truly an inspiration to everyone. God Bless Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is not a day that goes by that I have not thought about Nate and your amazing family.  My name is Heidi Blair and my daughter, Elizabeth, is also fighting the fight for her life.  I believe you found us through the 7th floor elf delivery and our friends The Wise's who are raising funds for our daughters foundation with their Christmas light display.  What are the chances that you would drive by their house and find us?  I joked with Maya when I ran into her in the playroom after dropping off the star wars treasures for Nate, that I think I had a new pen pal.  Before I could write you back, you and Nate got to go home, but as I read, had a quick return.  We have not officially been introduced face to face but I'm sure we will soon.  We are also on the 7th floor right now.  Elizabeth is receiving her chemotherapy.   I would love to come by to say hello, but I am battling a cold and would not want to spread my germs in anyway especially with Nate's ANC so low.  I just wanted you to know that you are constantly in my thoughts and I pray all these sweet kiddos kick this stupid cancer in the buttcrack!  Mommies unite!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoughts and prayers continually coming your way from WV.

    ReplyDelete