Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chippy Star Rocket


So, this whole Elf on the Shelf thing has gotten pretty popular.  I first heard about the elf's full story last year.  I was still adjusting to life with 3 kids and figured it could wait another year. Then, I knew that Nate would be old enough that both boys would be in to it.  I really wanted to do it this year, because this is the kind of stuff I love to do.  When we knew we were leaving for New York shortly after Thanksgiving, for an unknown amount of time, I knew the elf would have to wait until we got back, but I still had hope that he would be able to visit our house for at least a week or so.

Then, we found out that we would only be home for a couple days before heading back to the hospital for almost a week for chemo.  Bethannah was sweet enough to suggest having a second elf for the hospital and sent us a stuffed version of the Elf on the Shelf.  The problem was that I didn't have the original Elf on the Shelf with the book to explain his story to the boys.  I thought I could use our 2 days at home to get an elf and introduce him to the boys, the second elf could come to the hospital with us...then the stomach virus hit.  As you know, I gave up much hope of too many holiday festivities.

Yesterday, as I was home nursing Wes and Ellie back to health, Wes requested that we watch the Elf on the Shelf movie that had been saved on our DVR.  Apparently, he'd already seen it and knew all about the elf.  Then, after the movie, came the dreaded question.  "Mommy, do you think an elf will come to our house?".  Well, crap!  I told him I didn't think Santa would send an elf because our family is split up so much this year.  He looked disappointed, but took it in stride.  After he went to bed, I frantically searched the internet, trying to figure out how to get my hands on a stinkin elf.  Keep in mind that I am in the hospital with Nate, then can't really leave the house until after Christmas.  I thought maybe I could pop in to Target really quick on my way to the hospital, but all the Targets in the valley showed sold out (this elf is hot stuff this year).  I checked online but would have to pay a ton of shipping if I wanted it to get here enough days before Christmas to be of any use...the thing already costs $30!  I decided that this was just another thing we would have to give up this year.

Tonight, Nate and I were sitting in his bed playing, when our nurse told us that we has some visitors with a special delivery.  Standing outside Nate's room was a family, a mom, dad, a boy and 2 girls, one of them with a hat and IV pole.  They handed us an Elf on the Shelf doll and book set!  They had one for every single kid on the oncology floor!  Their daughter is fighting the same fight as Nate and they wanted to brighten the 7th floor a bit tonight.  Boy did they ever!  Nate and I quickly called Wesley on FaceTime, I read both boys the story and they worked together to name our elf...Chippy Star Rocket.  Both boys, especially Wesley, are very excited.

Our nurse said that the parents asked her to write a note to the kids "from Santa", explaining that he left all these elves and needed help delivering them to all the kids on the 7th floor.  How special is that?!  I'm sure that this family knew this would be a special treat for a lot of kids...but how could they possibly know what it meant to me?!  How could they know that it was a beautiful reminder to not give up...even on something as little (ha...get it...little) as an elf.  So, I wrote the family 2 letters.  One for the kids, and one for the parents, explaining just what this meant to me and our family.

Thanks to Bethannah, elf number 2 was all ready and waiting at our house.  So, Nate will wake up to Chippy Star Rocket in his new location and Wes will wake up to the second elf (who Chris and I named Lucky...it was hard enough getting one name out of them) and a note.  The note will explain that Lucky is a helper elf and that Chippy Star Rocket sent him to help Chippy keep an eye on Wes and Ellie while Nate is in the hospital.  We will make this a magical Christmas, some how, some way...with the help of the beautiful people around us.

4 comments:

  1. How perfect! What a beautiful story. How amazing it is that you were searching for an Elf on a Shelf and this family showed up with one. I'm sure your letter will mean the world to them. I wonder where Chippy will land in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless! Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome story. And what an awesome display of generosity.

    Best,
    Mary W

    ReplyDelete