Sunday, September 11, 2011

Round 3 Begins


After several urine samples, no one is quite sure where the blood came from, but it was decreasing with each sample and no infection was detected, so they started the chemo this morning. The whole blood in the urine thing makes me a little nervous though. Yesterday after the procedures, Nate had two different instances where he grabbed his crotch, pulled his knees to his belly and screamed, "Owie, my penis, my penis hurts!". Then it was over and it hasn't happened again. So strange. I couldn't see anything wrong with his penis or penis area, but they found blood in his urine. I can only figure he must have had some small cut or something and it burned when he peed, now it's healing and not bleeding or hurting anymore?? This is why I have gray hair.

Chris was with him all morning and I relieved him in the afternoon to go to a work function. Nate was taking a long nap (knocked out from the antinausea medicine) when I got there. I was exhausted and laid down to close my eyes for a second, when I heard Nate start throwing up. It happened to be exactly time for another dose of antinausea medication...I guess Nate knew this. I got him cleaned up, he got more medicine and was good to go.

We watched some toons, played in the play room and wandered the halls. We've decided that we can not leave the room without our hats. Tonight, he chose his "snow hat" and let me wear his bear hat. He ate a big dinner and a red "posisicle" for dessert that I hope Chris won't be cleaning up in the middle of the night. I tried getting him settled in for bed but he was literally jumping on the bed, so we put on our hats and headed out for a late night patrol of the hallways...complete with marching. I guess I finally wore him out because he fell asleep right before Daddy came back for his sleepover.

I also found out that this round of chemo is actually only 4 days. So, Nate will still be able to come home on Tuesday even though chemo was delayed a day. This is good news, not only because we love to have him home, but also because it makes our Wednesday less complicated with my long work day. Yay for more good news!

5 comments:

  1. I found your site through Maya's blog. I will be adding Nate to my prayers. I know nothing about this horrible disease, nor the doctors or medicine involved. Last month I was at Kidzams Dentistry in Prescott Valley and the receptionist who checked me in was telling me about her 8 year old, beautiful grand daughter who was in remission of cancer. I asked her what type... nueroblastoma. She kept mentioning that she had an amazing team of doctors from Europe that came here to treat her rare form of neuroblastoma/auto immune disease in combination with her cancer. I didn't want to ask too many questions so I didn't ask who her team of doctors were. But if you need options in the future, she may have some very helpful information for you. We will continue to prayer for your strength and for Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via Maya as well, I will keep Nate & your whole family in my prayers as well.....Super Nate is beautiful, be strong! Love the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Maya and Ronan fan as well and just found your blog through hers. I'm so sorry about your little guy. I will be following your blog and sending you my prayers. On a side note, my four year old son was at the dr for his check up last week and had been complaining about his penis hurting to pee to. They did tests and all is perfect but he did have some blood in his urine. Totally freaked me out, ut dr reassured me this is totally okay and normal after lots of activity.
    You're in my thoughts! Stay strong Super Nate!
    With Hope,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hats!!! Hope round 3 goes smoothly for you all. Much support and prayers coming your way for your adorable boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also found your blog through Maya/Ronan. I will continue to pray for your family and for Nate. You have Maya's Mafia pulling for you guys now and we will send all our love and positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete