Saturday, September 17, 2011

Perspective

I wish I could report that Nate is back to his old self...he's not. He's getting better, but not there yet. He is vomiting less and is drinking and keeping down a good amount of water. He still has little interest in food but will ask for things every now and then...they usually come back up. His energy level is nil. Who can blame him though? He hasn't had any real food for almost a week and he might need a blood transfusion (we'll find out Tuesday). It's all about baby steps right now. First he keeps down fluid, then food, then he gets his energy back. My poor baby boy. He doesn't deserve this, no one does really, but especially not a child. Yesterday, he should have been out in the backyard running, climbing and sliding down the slide with his brother; not slumped on the couch trying to keep his water down.

I'm working this weekend which is hard. All I do is think and worry about him when he's like this. I know Daddy's got it under control, but I want to be there by his side, making sure he's ok.

This weekend, our whole pharmacy is moving to the front of the store. We also lost our technician a few weeks ago and our new one hasn't started yet. This would normally be enough to send me over the edge with stress. Now it's just a blip on my radar. "What? I have to work 12 hours by myself? Ok. Oh, we have to move the whole pharmacy to a new space? Alright.". These things that would have been such a big deal are really nothing in the shadow of my child having cancer. Not that life's little stresses aren't still there, but I hope we can at least take from this experience that we shouldn't "sweat the small stuff". Enjoy life, love your friends and family and let the little stuff slide. In the grand scheme of things, they really don't matter. I hope I can carry that idea with me when all this is over.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder to not sweat the small stuff and love, love, love our family and friends! Praying for all of you! Love 'Aunt' Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder -- thank you so much. Hoping Super Nate continues to improve....baby steps are sooooo hard!! Hang in there. Thinking of you and your precious guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest". Matthew 11:28

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is difficult to read your blogs, because it is evident in every entry how much pain you are in. Moreso, it is evident that Nate is fighting a new battle every day. The portrait you paint of living with cancer is real and ugly, but very necessary to educate others about the reality of this cancer. So thank you.

    I was diagnosed with breast cancer this July while I was 28 weeks pregnant. It has been a very difficult time for us as a family. The constant worry that treating my illness may or may not affect the baby eventually is relentless. Yes, it is a poison to our bodies, but we have no choice. You just try to find the safest option of the lesser evils. So far, we have experienced no problems while she is in utero. But, still in the back of my mind, I constantly worry.

    I realize this does not compare to your situation, but I do know the feeling of fear when it comes to cancer and your child. She is not even born yet and all I can do is pray that she remains healthy.

    Nate has a long road ahead of him, but in order for him to get better he will have to endure the wrath of the treatment. The fact that you do your homework and are so involved with his treatment speaks volumes. I will pray for your family and continue to watch his progress. He is a strong little boy underneath all the chemo causing illness and cancer. I have faith in your son.

    ReplyDelete