Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dr. Mom

Not sure why...but I'm the one responsible for most of Nate's difficult care. Chris is the holder and I'm the shot giver and the dressing changer. Maybe it's because I'm kind of tough (I did give birth with out epidurals, you know) and medical stuff doesn't bother me. Whatever the reason, it's a lot of responsibility. I'm the one who has to
shove the needle in my baby's arm while he wiggles and screams, I'm the one who has to keep everything sterile as we change his central line dressing.

I took Nate to the clinic this morning and it was an uneventful visit...other than him acting like a total 2 year old and running all over the clinic yelling, "No Mommy, I do it myself!". His blood work came back great. He has a great immune system for our weekend of fun ahead and he didn't need any blood or platelet transfusions. We also had the nurse change his dressing, which has to be done each week. Then we had a fun, normal day.

Tonight when putting on Nate's jammies, Chris noticed that his central line dressing had started to come off. Ugh! I've only changed his dressing 2 times before. Once under the supervison of a nurse and once before when it came off at home. Chris and I got him set up on our bed and got to work. It's a very difficult process because everything has to stay completely sterile. Nate is a very good boy and lays pretty still, but he IS two and it hurts, so it's not his favorite thing.

Well, this didn't go nearly as smoothly as the first time I had to do it. The sterile pack we used this time was slightly different and the sterile gloves were VERY hard to get on. Chris reached across me and accidentally touched one of my gloves. Shit...it's not sterile anymore...open a new pack. Then Nate touched my gloved hand. Crap...there goes another. 5 packs later, we finally did it. I started to freak a bit because we only had 2 packs left. Then what? I guess we drive him to the emergency room? I better call our nurse tomorrow and ask that question...and I better call home care for some more sterile packs.

2 comments:

  1. Way to persevere! Like plan B and plan C ... e room and nurse back up! Is Lou Lou an option? BTW, cheers to Nate and his ability to sit through five gloves and etc. His is SUPER!

    ReplyDelete