Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gut Wrenching

I was planning on making a collage of photos from this hospital visit and putting it with a cheery post about round 3 being done.  I'm just not feeling it.  I hope to write that post in the next few days, but right now...round 3 is not done.   Sure, the poison finished going in to his body on Tuesday, and my mom got to bring him home for us yesterday while we were at work...but this round is not over.  Nate is not doing well...and it kills me.  My world is black and dark.  He's thrown up more times than I could possibly count and he has nothing in his stomach, so it has been the most awful dry heaving I have ever witnessed.  He hasn't eaten since...gosh, I don't know...what day is it?  He has had little to no interest in drinking either and what little sips he does take, come immediately back up.  He finished getting IV fluids yesterday at noon...if this isn't better by the morning I'm probably going to have to take him to the clinic or hospital to get some more.  He has no energy at all.  No energy to run and play, no energy to walk and barely enough energy to sit up or even talk.  It's really indescribably awful.  This is not my active, mischievous boy.  I just want to make him better...make it all go away.  I don't remember it being this bad with round 1.  My mom and Chris say that it was this bad for a few days.  Somehow this makes me feel better...I guess because I know we got through it.

We may have turned a corner this afternoon.  He woke up from a nap at noon, I gave him anti-nausea medication and offered him a popsicle, which he ate, then threw up 5 minutes later. He was interested in eating ice chips when they were offered and kept it down for a bit, but then threw up at 3pm.  I gave him more medicine and laid him down for a nap.  He woke up about 2 1/2 hours later, sat up and started talking about water, pulling water sippy cups from the side of his bed and drinking them.  This was the most animated I had seen him all day and the first time in several days that he drank anything without our prompting.  He then asked for chips...BBQ chips...that he'd seen Wes eating earlier.  I offered him ice chips instead.  Over the next several hours he started asking for different types of food and I think he ate a 1/4 piece of bread, a mini popsicle, a spoonful of applesauce and some cheese...and has kept it down!!  He is now sleeping and I am praying so hard that he is done throwing up for this round and can start eating and drinking tomorrow and building his strength.  Mommy can't take much more.

8 comments:

  1. Aww...poor baby boy. Keep strong Mama <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you guys have to go through this. I hope he starts feeling better and getting his strength back. sending you prayers ...Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong Beth and family. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you hugs, warm thoughts and many prayers tonight that all of the super heroes in Nate's body fight and he wakes up feeling better with a happy tummy! Beth, please send me a message on FB sometime with your address. I am making a huge batch of chicken pot pies (regular pie size) and I would love to drop some off to you for you to have on hand for dinners. They'll be frozen and you can always pop one in the oven the night of and have a delicious home cooked meal! Keep your strength and know that you wil prevail!

    Renee Pawelko-Gabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day, Bethany. I hope you, Nate and your entire family have a good night of solid rest. We are sending you tons of love, prayers for strength and peace ... and thoughts of a smorgasbord of popsicles, applesauce and bread for Nate (and BBQ chips in the very near future).
    - Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay strong, We think you guys are amazing and we know little Nate is a fighter. We think about him all the time and pray for him everyday. -Sarah and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tears..... I love you. Praying ALWAYS! XOXO Bestie Boob Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, may I recomend a short film called Paul and the Dragon. It's a movie designed by a cartoonist whose son had cancer and helps explain what's happening to the kiddos in a way they can understand. It's only 25 minutes and is without words so that you guys can talk and explain through it.
    I really hope Nate starts feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete