Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day +7, +8, and +9



 We've had a crazy, busy, whirlwind weekend.  Thursday, Nate's blood work showed 6 cells and Friday there were 25 (no neutrophils yet...so, no ANC), and his white blood cell count had gone from 0.1 to 0.3.  Still a long way to go...but we were so excited to see movement.  Nate was still fighting fevers but they were further apart and the temperatures were lower.  I also got Nate up and playing and walking around a bit on Friday. I left the hospital on Friday evening, with Nate in Lou Lou's loving care, to get home in time to take Wes to see the school play.  Three of Wes's neighborhood, bestest friends, were in the play (they are in 4th and 6th grade) and it was really fun.  All the kids did a great job!  Then, I met my friend for a late movie and got to sleep in the same bed as my husband!  This was all just on Friday night!


Saturday, Lou Lou and Papa took care of Nate and Grandma and Linde took care of Wes and Ellie, while Chris and I took a little time off to do one of our favorite things...race!  We competed in The Great Urban Race (which benefits The Ronald McDonald House and St. Jude's...by the way), which is part 5K, part scavenger hunt where you have to run around the city, solve clues and compete in challenges.  It's like a mini Amazing Race, and we love it!  Our team name was Super Nate, of course, and we wore our Super Nate shirts and our capes the whole race.  I even ate a scorpion...really, after the last 7 months, I certainly am not afraid of a little scorpion.  We finished 21st out of almost 400 teams and the top 25 qualify for the National Championship race in Vegas in November.  Who knows if we will be able to go, with Nate's treatment schedule, but we are certainly going to try.  Of course, Chris and I can't actually have a couple hours break from being cancer parents.  I was literally running down Scottsdale Road (in between balancing a beer on my head and eating a scorpion) talking to Nate's doctor about his central line being blocked...now, that's multitasking!  Turns out, that some time on Saturday morning, Nate's line stopped working.  They did some tests and found out that it has a small hole in it and is not fixable.  They had to put him under anesthesia Saturday evening and place a temporary PICC line in his arm.  Tomorrow morning at 9am, he will go back in to the OR to get his permanent line removed and a new one placed...the line that he JUST had placed a little over a month ago.  Ugh...always something.  We did get the good news from Lou Lou on Saturday morning that Nate's ANC was 75!  Woohoo!  An actual ANC...things are happening!  Go, cells go!



This morning, first thing, I got great news from Chris.  Nate's ANC jumped up to 840 and his fevers have slowed quite a bit!  Spectacular!  They consider his cells to be engrafted when he has 3 consecutive days of ANC above 500.  We are on our way!  He has several other things he must do before he can go home...such as, taking all medication by mouth and be able to go a couple days without a platelet transfusion...but, we are looking at possible discharge maybe next weekend.  I'm trying not to get too excited...but I'm excited!  I'll take 3 weeks in the hospital over 6, any day.  We started off our day, today, with a balloon release in honor of RJ.  His family had his services today and asked anyone who could not attend, to release a balloon in his honor.  It's the least we could do.  My sweet friend, Jen, her husband and kids blew up over 20 balloons this morning and we attached cards I made with some of RJ's information.  We hope to spread a little awareness where ever those balloons end up...RJ where show them where to go.  One of them hit a tree in the park and dropped it's card right in front of a woman walking her dog, which gave me the opportunity to talk to her about RJ, Nate and neuroblastoma.  See RJ, you're making a difference already.  It was sweet and emotional.


After the balloon release, we headed out to Mesa for my sweet nephew's baptism.  It was a really nice ceremony and a fun party with great people.  I am really so, so proud of my brother and my sister-in-law and I sure do love that little boy!  This evening, after a trip to Costco to get Wes some muffins he has been asking about for weeks (poor kid...I don't get to the store much these days), I headed back to the hospital.  Daddy, Nate and Softie were hanging out watching shows and watching Nate get stronger and stronger.  This week should be challenging and exciting as we work to get Nate the heck out of here and back home with our family where he belongs.


The pastor of our church posted this quote on Facebook earlier this week, "God never promised the perfection of heaven in our earthly existence, but because of his love and grace, He will bring blessing out of trials."  Man...aint that the truth.  There are a lot of things that suck about our life right now.  It is not fun to have our family constantly separated, to watch Nate suffer, to not be able to care for my family in the simplest ways that I used to enjoy so much....but, wow!  Look at our blessings!  Three beautiful children, a strong, fun marriage, a family and extended family whose love and support of us is unparralled, new and old friends and aquantainces who have come out of the woodwork to help our family, solid careers at amazingly supportive companies, and so much more than I could ever list here.  It would be easy to get down in the dumps about our situation...and believe me I do (though, I guess you all already know that), but I am trying EVERY DAY to focus on the blessings that God has bestowed on us.  Even in this most awful trial, the blessings still far outweigh the hardships...how is that even possible?!  Only through God, I suppose.

8 comments:

  1. I feel blessed to know you. Keep looking for the good that shines through the darkness. Love, 'Aunt' Nancy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! Go Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your updates every day. Thank you for keeping us all updated and sharing how you are doing so I can give you specific prayers. I love you guys very much and I'm so excited that things are looking good so far. Miss you tons :) Uncle MOUD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are beautiful and inspriational. I think of you all each day. Go cells go!
    Much love,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, Chris and family, I have wanted to write for so long but now seems as good a time as any. Ever since I heard about Nate I have been praying and praying that he and you will make it through this. We have not seen each other in a long time and I hope that one day we cross paths again but until then, know that I am always thinking of you guys. I am praising God that Nate is showing signs of engraftment and I will continue to pray that God will continue to heal little Nate. Stay strong you guys! I am in awe of the amazing strength you all have!

    Lots of love and prayers,

    Tara Guatafson (Shane's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Nate triumphs over the EVIL CANCER and again comes out of the battle victorious!! Way to go SUPER NATE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Love reading about Nate and his triumphs. I have no relation to your family and actually saw an friend post about Nate on FB which lead me to do some research and find your blog. Needless to say, I have passed along your blog and story and have a few extra prayers headed your way :). I wanted to comment about those delicious COSTCO muffins. My mom used to buy those for my siblings and I, there are 5 of us total separated within 7 years-so a busy and hungry bunch lol- Anyways, she used to stock up on those and freeze them individually and we would just pull them out when we wanted on and microwave and sometimes she would just stick them straight in our lunches and by our lunchtime they were perfect. They can be frozen forever and maybe it would be nice for Wes to have some like that since you are not always schedule permitting. Prayers to you and yours! I have been fighting the flu all week and have not been up to date since last friday so I enjoyed feeling better today and coming to see all the exciting ANC updates. Go little cells and counts!! Go Nate and go superMom, superDad and superfamily!!! <3

    ReplyDelete