Monday, October 3, 2011

It's Lonely Here


I find having a child with cancer, very lonely. I very rarely get any actual alone time, but still I feel so alone. There are lots of people around me and holding me up through the rough times, so I'm not sure where the loneliness comes from, but it's there.

The hospital is the worst for me. I'm never alone, I am constantly busy entertaining and talking with a 2 year old, which is lots of fun, but there are no breaks. There is no other mom to chat with at the playground while chasing kids around, no lunch talks with my mom and no quick conversations with my husband in the evenings. It's just me and Nate...and a nurse every once in a while. I truly cherish this one on one time with my middle child, the circumstances are just too much sometimes. When he's not feeling well, it's the worst...I feel alone...and helpless. The new hospital is nice and we love the big private rooms but I think it contributes the the feeling of isolation. Nate's been asleep for several hours and I'm in this big, dark room alone with my thoughts. Thank goodness for the phone and Internet or I would surely go crazy. I hate staying in the room, so Nate and I wander the halls frequently. It's very quiet out there and you rarely see another family...very lonely.

At home is better...but not a lot. No one calls for play dates anymore. Not that we could go much...it just sucks. I am different now and don't think I'll ever be the same. Can my friends and family really relate to me anymore? I know they love me and care and sort of understand, but they can never truly understand...thank God. The new friends we are making because we share the ultimate horror...a sick child...can truly understand, but I feel a disconnection there also because we each have so much to deal with, with our own children we can't take on each other's problems.

When I take Nate out in to the world I literally feel like a big spotlight is on us...but it is so bright that people can only stare for a moment and have to quickly turn away. Maybe it's the reflection off his shiny bald head, maybe it's the intense glow of his special soul. No one ever says anything...not once. I've started to question if people think I just gave him this haircut on purpose. I can't really blame them because, before this, I'm sure I wouldn't have said anything either...afraid to bring up a sore subject. Ha! Like they had forgot their child had cancer and my asking about the child would suddenly remind them. When I'm out and about with Nate, I want you to ask. When I'm pushing him in the swing next to your child, instead of staring while trying to look like you aren't staring, simply ask, "Does your son have cancer?". I want to talk about it. I want to tell you about this extraordinary boy and his daily fight. Maybe I'm the only cancer parent that feels this way. I've always been an over sharer...but, when people stare and don't say anything, it feels so lonely...like no one will ever understand us.

P.S.
Nate continues to handle "The Red Death"(and the other chemo drugs) like a super hero! Playing and eating and zero throwing up...a couple little heaves where I thought he was going to lose it...but nothing! I know the side effects of these drugs can take a awhile to show up sometimes but we'll take as many good days as we can get. Please continue to pray for Nate.

5 comments:

  1. Beth, Im so sorry you feel so alone tonight. I will say an extra prayer to help uplift your amazing soul. Have you looked into the Beads of Courage program? Please inquire about it while you are there at PCH. My girlfriend is the founder of this amazing program that allows kids to connect with their creative side by building a necklace made of beads, that helps them on their journey through cancer. They receiveare a bead for thingsyou like chemo, shots, surgeries etc. Their necklace becomes a story for them and their families. Its a beautiful program and I think you would be able to connect with many great people through their foundation!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, First of all, Happy Birthday! I can't imagine it will be your best birthday, but I hope you have a wonderful day nonetheless. I know I don't know you personally, and live a world away, but I just wanted to let you know that I think about and pray for Nate daily. I think you are doing an amazing job, with all the roles you have to juggle and being the best mom to all of your children. Your family has two superheros, Super Nate, and Super Mom.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how very lonely this long journey feels. Thanks for reminding folks to ASK and TALK about childhood cancer when it is staring them in the face. It is hard to know if parents will feel put out or uncomfortable when strangers inquire about their child and I appreciate knowing that you welcome it rather than dread it. So glad to hear that Nate is handling the chemo so well and we are praying he continues to sail through this round. He is truly a superhero and we think of him often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 you my beautiful friend. Happy birthday! You are NEVER alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Beth! For what it's worth, our culture doesn't value "real" questions. Otherwise, we'd wait for a "real" answer when we throw out the infamous phrase "how are you?".

    I can't imagine the horror of your lives right now. I don't know why Nate, and everyone in the family, has to face this. It doesn't help to know that others are facing it because it doesn't answer the basic question of WHY.

    Unless, a little light just entered my mind. When I was widowed at 49 I wrote about it. A lot. I heard from others with similar stories, and it gave me strength and ideas. And once, when I finally climbed to the top of Piestewa Peak, a fellow climber and I had a conversation. She too was widowed, and asked me something that shocked me. She wanted to know my late hubby's name. Since that moment, I've ALWAYS asked others the same.

    What I'm thinking is that the anonymous hiker gave me the clue that was missing - to speak Cliff's name. I wonder if you're also giving all of us the clue we need - to ASK, and to LISTEN to the parents, who have much to tell and teach the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete