Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Birthday to me...


I never, in a million years, thought that I'd be spending my 34th birthday in the hospital with my 2 year old son while he was receiving chemo...but here I am...and I actually had a great birthday! The only thing that would have made it better would have been also spending it with Chris, Wes and Ellie. Nate is doing awesome and I really couldn't ask for a better birthday gift. I got to spend some good, quality time with Wes and Ellie over the weekend and Chris and I actually got to go out to a fancy dinner, alone, on Saturday night. Sunday, my friend, Jen and her daughter took me to get a pedicure. I picked out a super sparkly color that makes me smile when I look at it. I can now tap my toes together like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz and say, "There's no place like home".

Today, I had more love poured on me than I could have thought possible. There were more visits, gifts, food and treats, cards, calls, texts and Facebook notes than I thought could possibly fit in a single day. They came from family, close friends, old friends, new friends, aquaintances and former strangers. I really had no time to think about anything but the laughter, fun and love that filled our little hospital room. Thank you to everyone for that incredible gift!

My aunt came to visit tonight to help me get Nate ready to leave first thing in the morning and I took the opportunity, while she was here, to fit in a little run up and down the parking garage stairs and around the top, closed off, floor of the parking garage. I had to run off all the yummy treats I ate today! I came back in the hospital after my run to find a mob of people in the main lobby. I looked over and quickly realized that a code team was working on a child (on the lobby bench) that's heart had stopped. I don't know the what or why of this situation but I instantly broke into tears and prayed for God to watch over that baby. Man...every moment is a gift! Any one of our children could be gone tomorrow. Run and laugh and play with them...TODAY! You will never regret it.

4 comments:

  1. So glad today was a good day :-) Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday again, Beth! I am so happy that it was a good day for you. Your posts are beautiful. Thank you for being so real! It helps us to have a better understanding of what you're going through. Thank you for the reminder about taking time to run and laugh and play with our children. I would like to add, keep it up even when they are growing into young adults! It seems we see less and less of them because they want to be with their friends more, but we need to still be involved in their lives! Love and prayers to you, Chris, Wes, Nate and Ellie xoxoxoxoxo Love, 'Aunt' Nancy Gerardo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I check every day to see if you have posted any news about Nate, glad he is handling the chemo ok. I just wanted you to know that you are being thought of and prayed for over here in Rio Rancho, New Mexico! Hang in there, you are doing a great job, you are a WONDERFUL mom... xoxo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Beth! I'm so happy to hear that you had a great one! Kasper, my husband and I all spent our last birthdays in the hospital. I'm so looking forward to throwing a real birthday party for Kasper this year.

    I also know the feeling of loneliness, but sharing a room with two other families did not do it for me. Just a guarantee for no sleep or privacy. To stay in the hospital for the anti-body treatment was much easier for me, since Kasper was guaranteed a single room after his stam cell transplant.

    I hope you are home by now and enjoying your freedom.

    With lots of Love, Light and Hope,

    Maria
    (Kasper's Mamma)

    ReplyDelete