Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 10

Our goofy boy is back!

Yes, Nate is still in the hospital.  I have not really felt like writing and there really hasn't been much to report.  Yesterday and today, he finally is starting to make some progress.  He had much more energy yesterday and was speaking much more clearly.  He still wasn't swallowing much and was still having a bunch of spit build up, but not as much as before.  I was able to talk him in to eating a couple bites of food and a few sips of water.  Not much, but 100% more than the previous 7 or 8 days.  Today was even better.  He kept saying "no" to any food I offered him, so I decided to try his favorite candy, PEZ.  Sure enough, he downed 3 packs of PEZ in no time flat.  Clearly, the sores in his throat are better, or he wouldn't be able to swallow PEZ.  He is still on TPN and I'm still convinced that he won't eat until they turn it off.  I talked them in to turning it off in the morning.  I also haven't had to push his morphine button all day yesterday or today, hopefully we can have them turn the drip off tomorrow.  Over the weekend, his ANC went from 0 to 100 and back to 0.  Argh!  Monday it was 47 and today 115.  We are praying and praying that it is above 250 tomorrow.  Even if his ANC does get to 250 tomorrow, we aren't sure if they will let him go home, but Chris and I are surely going to push for it.  We've all been tortured long enough.

Nate is feeling much better and has a ton of energy, which is hard because they won't let him leave the room.  Once he comes in to the hospital with a fever, he can't leave his room until he leaves the hospital...even though we have been there for 10 days and he has been fever free for over 6 days.  I've been coming up with lots of games to keep us occupied, but it's getting difficult.  He even missed meeting Larry Fitzgerald and some ASU football players because of his isolation.  Good thing he doesn't care that much about football yet...and no one in this house cares about ASU football. :)

Nate is supposed to start round 5 of chemo on Friday.  I talked with one oncologist who said he didn't think that Nate would be ready...but he didn't really have a lot of answers for me, so we're just waiting to see what Nate's body does.  The Dr. (who is not Nate's main oncologist, who makes the decisions) said we could wait until the following Friday.  That would be so, so great to have a week off...except...there's this little detail of a surgery in New York.  I know that everyone involved is used to these delays, but it really can't be delayed too much because it will start pushing Thanksgiving and the surgeon is not there...major problem.  So, Chris and I have decided we will push them to keep checking Nate and start chemo as soon as his little body will allow.  Not really what we want to do, but it's what must be done to secure this surgery.  All of our travel plans are up in the air and I can't even make any phone calls until we see that Nate's numbers have recovered and we can start round 5.  I'm taking deep breaths, but to say that this causes me anxiety is an understatement.

This has been rough, really rough.  It's just so awful to see him in pain and it really hit us like a ton of bricks how quickly he went from being totally awesome to totally awful...and he has been in the hospital SOOOO long.  The hardest part about this is that we didn't really get much of a break this round and we know we are not getting any kind of a break after the next round either.  We have to take him right from chemo to surgery, and that is so hard.  This weekend was pretty tough.  We had a really cute 1st birthday party for Ellie...but Nate was not there.  Our family was not together and it kills me.  I am really happy that we at least celebrated together on Ellie's actual birthday, the day before everything went downhill.  I also had a super emotional day on Saturday, partly due to the outpouring of love and support for Nate and our family.  My sweet friend, Jen, organized the most amazing car wash to raise money for Nate's care.  She told her boss at Walgreens about Nate and he immediately jumped in to action to help.  So many people I don't know worked their butts off organizing the event, washing cars, making hot dogs, collecting donations and doing so much more that we probably don't even know about.  I was not there because I was trying to get things together for Ellie's party after having been stuck in the hospital all week, and also because I really didn't think I could handle it emotionally.  I was already in tears all day from the outpouring of support I saw on Facebook.  The turn out was incredible and the amount raised far exceeded any of our hopes!  Thank you so much to everyone.  There is no way I could ever thank you enough or show you how much it truly means to us.  We promise to pay it forward one day soon.  Also that day, a friend from high school, Leigh Ann, came to drop off the cake she had offered to make for Ellie's birthday party.  I have always made the kid's birthday cakes and I had a hard time accepting the offer from Leigh Ann at first.  I am so glad I decided to give myself a break because there is no way I could have made a cake with Nate in the hospital for so long.  Leigh Ann made the most perfect, beautiful cake for my sweet girl's 1st birthday piggy party...and it was so delicious that our guests gobbled up the whole thing in no time flat. She also made the absolute cutest smash cake...and little pink pig cookies.  She went so totally above and beyond, I almost couldn't handle it.  The love and support from all around is just so much to emotionally handle sometimes.  We have thoughts of..."do we deserve this", "how are we ever going to live up to this", "how could we possibly thank all these people" and "we wish we were helping with these efforts, not having to ask for the help".  Not to mention that sometimes having your heart so full of the love around you, makes it feel like it will burst.  These are just two examples of the many, many, many ways people are helping us through this.  I want you to know that if I forget to thank you personally or through a note or on this blog, it does not mean that we are not eternally grateful.  I really don't actually have enough hours in the day to thank everyone...wow...isn't that incredible!

I'd like to clear some things up about this blog.  I know that I did indeed ruffle some feathers with my naughty language a few days ago.  When I said I was sorry if that word offended you...I meant it.  I really don't want to offend anyone...but this blog is really, my story.  I know that many of you come here to get updates about Nate and he is obviously the reason for all of this...but he can't write a blog and Daddy has no interest, so the task of updating everyone is left to me.  When I started this, I had no intention of letting everyone in to the mind and heart of a mother to a child with cancer...but here you are.  It's not a pretty place to be and there are many, many four letter words here...only because there is no word in the English language that accurately describes how I really feel about cancer.  Ultimately, this has become and outlet for me and I need it, but I want everyone to know that I am not as "bad off" as maybe I seem in my blog entries.  I spend ALL day being happy and positive for Nate, Wes and Ellie.  I am absolutely positive that Nate will beat this cancer.  I search for our blessings daily and usually they grab me before I have a chance to look.  I take each happy, free of cancer worries, moment that my family is given and I run with it and do something incredible and fun.  The reality is though...that this is not a positive experience.  Yes, I look for the positives in everything, but really I just want to be taking Nate and Ellie on play dates to the park and to be volunteering at Wesley's school.  Not, taking Ellie to the babysitter and Nate to the hospital and never able to even pick Wesley up from school. We are constantly making the best of it...but really it sucks.  Cancer is stealing this year from all of us and I'm not happy about that.  I need a place to scream and yell and kick...and this is my place.  When Nate throws a royal fit about having to take another medicine or get another shot...I want to throw myself on the ground and throw a royal fit too...but I don't.  I smile, encourage, use my happy voice and tell him that he's strong and brave and it will be over in a second.  Then I come home, get on the computer and throw my fit to you all.

14 comments:

  1. I was so happy i was able to help Jen put together the car wash for Nate. Ever since Jen told me about Nate i have been following this blog everyday you write. You inspire me. One day i would like to meet you and nate. Im so touched by your stories. I ask Jen almost everyday about how you and Nate are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just a word and I do not think people are allowed to be offended until they have walked a minute in your shoes!!! Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family nightly. You are an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We embrace you...we are not offended at all. We are all offended of this nasty disease and we are here to cheer you on, lift your spirits and let you be yourself, good, bad and indifferent. Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuck cancer! This is an example of the correct way to use such an offensive word. Don't apologize or worry about explaining yourself. You have enough to deal with. You are one tough mama! Stay strong but throw as many tantrums as you need on here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, I am a friend of a friend. I have been reading your blog and my hearts and prayers go out to Nate and your family. I am a pediatric ICU RN. I worked at PCH for 6 years and now work in a PICU. in Oakland, CA. I wanted to share with you that there is a new form of IV Tylenol, I have given it here in CA several times to patients in the same situation as your son. Maybe it could help? I applaud your strength and if anyone deserves to drop some serious F-bombs its you. Nate has so many people taking care of him, hopefully someone is taking care of YOU! I can feel your anguish, frustration, fear, doubt, and sheer exhaustion in your blog posts. For what its worth know someone is praying for you too!! Take a moment sometime in your car, on the roof at PCH, and scream/ cry/ curse - if you haven't already. As one mom to another do what you need to do to stay sane! In the meantime , God Bless you, Nate, and hope that you continue to be surrounded by the love and support you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, not offended at all. Moms (in ANY situation, much less cancer) are like a bumper for their family. They take hits from all directions and absorb them so that their family is as safe and stable as can be. But we're human, too, and need a way to release all that built-up pressure. Feel free to let it all out!

    Sorry that Nate's treatments are so hard right now, and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to try to make things time out correctly for the surgery in New York. I really hope to see you guys at Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving, and hopefully squeezing this all in now will leave a little breathing room so that you can having some precious time at home for Christmas. I'm sure you could use it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! You are always in our prayers!

    Val Nikolaus (Alisa's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think people who are offended by you expressing your deepest agony have a hard time dealing with their own emotions. Some people would rather live life pretending and putting on a show that everything is perfect when its anything but. It makes them uncomfortable when others express emotion because they don't know how to. It's the people that tell u to stay positive in the midst of a storm rather then allow u to weap in their arms. You stay positive for your kids, adults are big people... They are the ones that should be able to handle a 4 letter word and express yourself however u need to. You are grieving your former life, u are grieving the suffering of your precious son, u are grieving the family moments your .missing. anyone that can't understand u needing an outlet needs to check their own hearts and realize they are.out of touch with reality and their own emotions. Thank God you are a "real" person. This world needs more of you. You are a blessing and a gift from God. Let it out and never stop. What your doing is healthy and brave! Jesus weeped and cried out too... The bible is filled with one story after another of suffering and pain. If everything was perfect and positive all the time we wouldn't need Him. God is wrapping His arms around u and doesn't put a limit on what u can say in your pain, He is with you and He hears u and will carry you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth you are awesome! You bring me to tears, smiles, & laughter at times when I read your "throwing fit" blogs :). You make it that much better to read when you speak of how you truly feel, why sugarcoat anything. Just want you to know when I read this, I am reading words from a strong & powerful mother.

    Deb <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not the F-bomb that bugs me, it's your dissing of the ASU football players. :-)
    Bethany, you and your family are so awesome and that you are able to articulate any sensical thought through this ordeal, needless to mention, make sure your baby has a wonderful 1st birthday party is amazing. Your blogs capture this experience in a very genuine way and that allows us all to support you all the more and pray for you with equal fervor. Love to you and Chris, Nate, Ellie and Wes. - Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. UUUUUmmmmmmm.......people offended by saying "fuck" about something that is threatening your baby's life?!?! Uuuummmm...that's not ok. You are entitled to any words and any feelings that enter your mind and pour onto the keyboard....I'd be saying alot more than the F bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to harp on it too much longer, but between "fuck" and "cancer", the more offensive word by FAR is "cancer".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditoo to what Maya said! You don't, and shouldn't have to defend yourself!! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete