Monday, November 28, 2011

Giving Thanks


I thought I was thankful last year.  I didn't even come close.  Cancer has taken many things from us, but I feel like somehow, this is a gift we have been given.  A gift I never wanted and wish I could  take back, if it meant my little boy wouldn't have cancer anymore.  It is not returnable, though, so I will enjoy it.  I feel like my super hero of a little boy has given me the super power to enjoy every, single, thing in my life.  Everything beautiful is amplified.

We are surrounded by THE most awesome people on this planet.  I know this must be the case.  People who have dropped everything, bent over backwards, and sacrificed to help our little boy and our family when we could not do it ourselves. I will never, in my life, be able to thank you all enough.  Chris and I keep joking that we are going to have to be REALLY good people after all this is over...but we are not joking.  For the rest of our lives, we will always strive to make a difference in the lives of others that you all have made in ours, because now we know what it truly means. 

So, on this day of Thanksgiving, I am brought to my knees with gratitude.  I am able to spend this day with my family, all of my family.  I now know how truly precious that is.  I thought I was grateful for my family last year.  I didn't have a clue.

One of my dreams, is that Nate will pass this grateful super power on to all of you.  That you may look around and see the beauty that is around you.  That you may really, truly appreciate your friends, family and especially your children.  I don't want any of you to ever be in the position that we are now, with a sick child.  If Nate's story can amplify the beauty in your life, without you having to suffer the pain, if cancer can give you this gift also...well, it still won't be worth it...cancer can go eff itself...but it will certainly make our journey a little bit sweeter.

7 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous photo! I'm so glad you all got to spend Thanksgiving together xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story. Thank you for sharing your families transformation with us all. Nate is a little trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was really well-said, Beth.

    Mary W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! Sharing your journey must not always be easy, and I sincerely thank you for doing so. I think of your family often and in honor of Nate's fight (and all the other little angels), I count my blessing every day. The beauty in my life is absolutely amplified because of Nate's story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at those happy babies! So great to see Nate with a smile on his face and with his family! Thank you for helping the rest of us put our lives in perspective and know that life is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy (late) Thanksgiving, Bethany. Wish we could have been there to see all of you. Sending our love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! Such a fantastic photo!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete